The Golden Visa programme was launched by the Portuguese authorities in October 2012 and is an efficient way for foreign investors from non-EU countries to obtain permanent residence in Portugal, thereby also allowing freedom of travel in most European countries (Schengen area).
There are several routes to obtain a Golden Visa in Portugal. Tamea International focuses on the Real Estate Investment route which is considered the most popular and flexible. The investment requirement for obtaining a Golden Visa via this route is the acquisition of a property of an amount equal to or greater than €500,000. Only investments made after October 8th 2012 are considered.
The second step in the Golden Visa programme allows investors to apply for Portuguese citizenship after six years. The assets used to apply through the scheme can be disposed of once citizenship is granted.
- €500,000 investment*
- Hold the investment for a minimum period of 5 years
- Investment funds must come from outside Portugal
- Initial entry into Portugal with a valid Schengen Visa
- No criminal convictions
- No previous issues with the Portuguese or Schengen Immigration Services
- Minimum stay of 7 days in Portugal each year
- No visa required to visit Portugal or rest of the Schengen Area
- Freedom to live & work in Portugal (even if resident in another country)
- Eligible for permanent residency after 5 years
- Eligible for citizenship after 6 years
- Residency can be extended to family
- Property can be rented to generate income
- Property can be sold after citizenship is acquired
* Other investment levels may apply in some cases